Love animals? Want to spend your day surrounded by wagging tails and soft purrs?
Humane Society Silicon Valley (HSSV), an independent, privately funded, 501(c)(3) non-profit organization, has been serving people and pets in Silicon Valley for over 90 years. Having facilitated more than half a million animal adoptions, HSSV is leading the charge for animal welfare through community education programs, creative marketing techniques and effective homeless animal prevention strategies. HSSV is the first organization ever to meet the model shelter standard-of-care guidelines put forth by the Association of Shelter Veterinarians.
A High-Performing Team
We are a passionate team who believes that collaboration with one another is key to our success. While we have clear individual goals and responsibilities, we know that our best work is done by leveraging each other’s strengths and making sure to create opportunities for the work to be fun and creative.
We take our mission seriously: To save and enhance lives – both two-legged and four legged! Through compassion and collaboration, we are building a community in Silicon Valley where every pet has a home.
At the beginning of each animal’s story at HSSV, there is a member of the Community Services team working with the people attached to that animal. You’ll be working with people who have found stray animals, need to surrender their pet, lost their pet, need to euthanize their pet, have a spay/neuter/vaccine appointment, fosters, Pet Pantry customers, and just about everything in between. The Community Services Associate is a customer-centric role that plays a key part in HSSV operations and training is provided on safe and effective animal handling. This is a highly collaborative role requiring proactive communication within the team and coordination with multiple departments, as well as volunteers.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Foster a team environment by working effectively with all shelter staff and volunteers to accomplish HSSV mission, values and goals and ensure everyone has an exceptional customer service experience and animals are treated in a humane manner.
- Perform work with a collaborative, can-do attitude; actively demonstrate empathy, compassion, consideration and courtesy while presenting a positive image in all interactions with the public, volunteers, co-workers and other community shelters.
- Maintain a welcoming environment (clean and safe) for individuals that come to HSSV and handle opening/closing lobby procedures.
- Address customer questions (phone, email and in-person) and maintain pleasant, courteous, and professional demeanor at all times.
- Maintain and ensure accuracy of paperwork for incoming animals and day-to-day activities including behavioral evaluation, medical history and treatment information, pertinent history and photographs.
- Schedule and confirm surgeries, follow-ups and post-operative rechecks including completing pre-and post-surgery records accurately. Safely transport animals as required and ensure animals are released to owners and they are provided with post-operative instructions.
- Triage customer needs and maintain a current understanding of resources available for animals through proactive communications with shelter operations team.
- Process incoming owner surrender and Pet Pantry applications from beginning to end and assist with distributing food to pet owners.
- Solicit donations from customers and maintain incoming monies and accuracy of the cash register including closing procedures.
- Observe all veterinary protocols established by federal, local, and state law.
- Other job duties may be assigned as needed.
- Experience in customer service environment required; veterinary or animal related preferred.
- Current driver’s license and good driving record.
- Bilingual in Spanish a plus.
- Skilled in working with databases, scheduling appointment systems, word processing, spreadsheets, MS Office, etc.
- Positive, empathetic attitude with a passion for working with animals and people and must have good judgment skills.
- Ability to multitask in a fast paced, emotionally sensitive environment while being flexible to changing needs.
- Must be detail-oriented with an ability to follow directions as well as work independently with minimal supervision.
- Ability to communicate effectively and demonstrate an attitude of consideration and courtesy to all members of the public, volunteers and employees.
- Demonstrated ability to listen, understand and make effective decisions.
- Ability to work/interact with a variety of animals including domestic pets (cats and dogs) and anything else that comes through our doors. Some animals may be aggressive, sick, injured, wild or feral.
- Ability to handle animals safely and humanely and frequently lift and carry animal transfer cages weighing up to 40lbs. Lead and control large animals and ability to sit and stand for extended periods of time up to 45 minutes. Ability to lift and transport bags of food or donations weighing up to 40lbs.
Work Days and Hours
Will include one weekend day on regularly scheduled basis. Opportunity is for 24 hours a week.
Add "apps.bamboohr.com" to your email contact list so you make sure to receive emails from HSSV regarding your application.